Ling7800/CSCI 7000: Computational Lexical Semantics
Time and Location: Tue/Thur, 12:30-1:45, Hellems 185
Assessment: Two homeworks, one Paper presentation, and a term project.
Office Hours: Martha Palmer, Hellems 295, Tuesday 3:30-5:30pm
Textbook: Semantic Role Labeling (eBook),
Martha Palmer, Daniel Gildea, Nianwen Xue,
Synthesis Lectures on Human
Language Technologies ,
ed., Graeme Hirst, Morgan & Claypool, 2010. ISBN: 9781598298321
available on line on campus through Chinook
Lexical semantics is becoming an increasingly
important part of Natural Language Processing (NLP), as the field is
beginning to address semantics at a large scale. This introductory
lecture course will cover key issues in computational lexical
semantics. We will start with an introduction to theoretical models of
lexical semantics and events, considering both their adequacy as linguistic
models and their place in NLP. We will then examine computational
lexical resources and will consider both manual and automatic
techniques for their development. The automatic techniques can be used
to acquire lexical-semantic information from corpus data. On one
extreme, such techniques can be fully supervised (requiring
hand-labeled training data). On the other extreme, they can be fully
unsupervised (learning lexical information from unlabeled text). In
both cases, valuable lexical semantic information can be
induced. Towards the end of the course we will discuss the role of
lexical semantics in various current NLP applications.
Suggested Schedule and Readings - Open to Modification
Introduction and Module 1: the Lexical Semantics of Verbs - Chap 1
- Jan 15 Course Overview and Natural Language Processing, the Pundit case study
Pundit Overview and
Palmer, Martha, Carl Weir, Rebecca Passonneau, and Tim Finin.
"The Kernel Text Understanding System."
Artificial Intelligence 63: 17-68: Special Issue on Text Understanding.
- Jan 17, Thematic Roles in Linguistics ,
Assignment 1: Exercises 1, 2 and 3, p. 19, SRL book, due Jan 29
Background reading for Assignment:
- Fillmore, C. J. 1968 "The Case for Case" in E. Bach and R.T. Harms, eds.
Universals in Linguistic Theory, 1-88. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. Section 3.
- Jackendoff, R.S. 1976 Towards an Explanatory Semantic Representation,
Linguistic Inquiry, 7:1, pp. 89-150.
- Dowty D.R 1991 Thematic Proto-Roles and Argument Selection.
Language 67: 547-619 sections 1-7 Paper
- Levin, B. English Verb Classes: A Preliminary Classification Introduction,
MIT Press, pp. 1-23, 1990., Paper
- Jan 22 Polysemy, Word Sense Disambiguation and Dictionary Sense Inventories - Orin Hargraves slides
Kilgarriff, A., 1997, "I don't believe in word senses," Computers and the Humanities 31: 91-113.
Palmer, M., Dang, H. and Fellbaum, C., Making Fine-grained and Coarse-grained sense distinctions, both manually and automatically,
Journal of Natural Language Engineering,13:2, 137-163, 2007.
- Jan 24, Dictionary Sense Inventories and NLP - Orin Hargraves slides
Atkins, S., Fillmore, C. J., Johnson, C. R.,
Lexicographic Relevance: Selecting Information from Corpus Evidence,
International Journal of Lexicography, Vol. 16 No. 3, Oxford University Press, 2003,
Hanks, P. and Pustejovsky, J., A Pattern Dictionary for Natual Language Processing, Revue francaise de linguistique appliquie
2005/2 (Vol. X), CAIRN, INFO, 2005. Paper
Hanks, P., Mapping Meaning onto Use Lexicography And Natural Language Processing
Euralex, European Association for Lexicography,
Edmonds, P. and Hirst, G., Near-Synonymy and Lexical Choice,
Computational Linguistics June, 2002, Vol. 28, No. 2, Pages 105-144,
Module 2: Available Lexical Resources - Chap 2
- Jan 29 Review Assignment 1 and Possible Term Projects
Please bring a hard copy of your response to Assignment 1 to class.
Term Project Ideas
- Jan 31 Computational Lexicons for English
Assignment 2: Exercises 1, 2, 3 and 4, p. 29, SRL book, due Feb 12
- George A. Miller, Richard Beckwith, Christiane Fellbaum, Derek Gross, and Katherine Miller, 1993,
Introduction to WordNet: An On-line Lexical Database, 5 Papers on WordNet availalbe from the WordNet web site.
- Fillmore et al 2001
"Building a large lexical databank which provides deep
Proceedings of the 15th Pacific Asia Conference on Language, Information and Computation. Eds. Benjamin Tsou, and Olivia Kwong. Hong Kong 2001.
- Fillmore, Charles J., Christopher R. Johnson, and Miriam R.L. Petruck. 2002.
International Journal of Lexicography, 16(3):2435
- Kipper, Karin, Anna Korhonen, Neville Ryant, Martha Palmer. "A Large-scale Classification of English Verbs." Language Resources and Evaluation Journal,42(1). Springer Netherland: 2008. pp. 21-40.
- Martha Palmer, Dan Gildea, Paul Kingsbury, 2005,
The Proposition Bank: An Annotated Corpus of Semantic Roles,
Computational Linguistics, 31:1 , pp. 71-105.
- Feb 5 Computational Lexicons for English, cont.
- Computational Lexicons:
- Feb 7 Term Project Discussion, Part II, also Events in FrameNet
Module 3: Word Sense Disambiguation
- Feb 12,
- Feb 14, Review of Assignment 2 and More on Term Projects
Module 4: Representations of Events
- Feb 19 Event Semantics I
SemLink format Slides
Davidson D. 1967. "The Logical Form of Action Sentences,"
Reprinted in Davidson, D: Essays on Actions and Events, Oxford University Press
Events, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Feb 21, Event Semantics II & Temporal Relations
Parsons T. 1990 Events in Semantics of English . MIT Press, Boston
Casati, R., and Varzi, A., editors. Events . Dartmouth, Aldershot, 1996.
- The NAACL Event Workshop
Possbile Additional Papers:
- Pustejovsky, The Generative Lexicon
Pustejovsky J 1991, The Generative Lexicon, ComputationaI Linguistics, Volume 17, Number 4, December. Paper
- James Pustejovsky; Marc Verhagen, 2009, SemEval-2010
Task 13: Evaluating Events, Time Expressions, and Temporal Relations
(TempEval-2) In the Proceedings of the Workshop on Semantic
Evaluations: Recent Achievements and Future Directions (SEW-2009)
held with NAACL-2009, Boulder, CO.
- Rappaport M. and B.Levin 1998 "Building Verb Meanings" in Butt,
Geuder, eds. The Projection of Arguments: Lexical and Compositional
Factors, CSLI Publications Paper
- Talmy, L., Toward a Cognitive Semantics - Volume 2: Typology
and Process in Concept Structuring (Language, Speech, and
Communication), Chapter 1 Lexicalization Patterns
Module 5:Automatic Semantic Role Labeling - Chapter 3, 4
- Feb 26 Automatic SRL Shumin Wu
Machine Learning Slides,
- Feb 28 Cancelled
- March 5 Student Presentations: Thematic Roles and Hierarchies
LG Bonial, C., Corvey, W., Palmer, M., Petukhova, V., and Bunt,
A Hierarchical Unification of LIRICS and VerbNet Semantic
Proceedings of the ICSC Workshop on Semantic Annotation for
Computational Linguistic Resources (SACL-ICSC 2011), Sep, 2011.
JI Mark McConville and Myroslava O. Dzikovska (2008)
Using Inheritance and Coreness Sets to Improve a Wide-Coverage Verb
Lexicon Harvested from FrameNet. In Proceedings of the 2nd Linguistic
Annotation Workshop at LREC-08, Marakesh, Morocco.
MK Paola Merlo and Lonneke van der Plas, 2009,
Abstraction and Generalisation in Semantic Role Labels: PropBank, VerbNet or both? In the Proceedings of IJCNLP/ACL 2009, Singapore.
Szu-ting Yi; Edward Loper; Martha Palmer
Can Semantic Roles Generalize Across Genres?, NAACL-2007.
- March 7 Student Presentations: Thematic Roles and Hierarchies
TL Xue,Nianwen, and Martha Palmer. 2009.
"Adding semantic roles to the Chinese Treebank." Natural
Language Engineering. 15(1) 2009:143-172.
YA Mousser, J. (2010)
A large coverage verb taxonomy for Arabic. In Proceedings
of the Seventh conference on International Language Resources and Evaluation
(LREC 2010), Malta.
Martha Palmer, Olga Babko-Malaya, Ann Bies, Mona Diab, Mohammed Maamouri, Aous Mansouri, Wajdi Zaghouani, 2008,
A Pilot Arabic PropBank, In the Proceedings of LREC-2008. Marrakech, Morocco.
Zaghouani, Wajdi, Mona Diab, Aous Mansouri, Sameer Pradhan and Martha Palmer, 2010,
The Revised Arabic PropBank. Poster in the Proceedings
of the Linguistic Annotation Workshop, held in conjunction
with ACL-2010. July 15-16, 2010, Uppsala,
- Ontologies Slides
Description Logic, including
Module 6: Applications
- March 12, Student Presentations: The Clinical Domain and Named Entity Recognition
KA D. A. Ferrucci, 2012, "Introduction to 'This is Watson',"
IBM Journal of Research and Development, vol. 56, no. 3/4, 1-15, May/Jul2012.
Daniel M. Bikel, Richard Schwartz and Ralph M. Weischedel. 1999.
An Algorithm that Learns What's in a Name, In the Special
Issue on Natural Language Learning, Machine Learning, 34,
L. Ratinov and D. Roth. 2009.
Design Challenges and Misconceptions in Named Entity Recognition,
In the Proceedings of CoNLL - 2009, held in conjunction with NAACL-2009, Boulder, CO.
Module 7: Student Presentations: Distributional Approaches
- March 14 - A Critical Anlaysis of BabelNet - LE, JE, GR
Hoffart, Johannes, Fabian M. Suchanek, Klaus Berberich, and Gerhard
"YAGO2: a spatially and temporally enhanced knowledge base
from Wikipedia." Artificial IntelligenceVolume 194, January 2013, Pages
R. Navigli and S. P. Ponzetto. 2010.
Babelnet: building a very large
multilingual semantic network.
In Proceedings of the 48th Annual
Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics, ACL '10,
pages 216-225, Uppsala, Sweden, 2010. Slides
JE Xian-Ling Mao, Jing He, Hongfei Yan, and Xiaoming
Hierarchical topic integration through semi-supervised
hierarchical topic modeling. In Proceedings of the 21st ACM
international conference on Information and knowledge management (CIKM
'12). ACM, New York, NY, USA,
- March 19 - CPA and FrameNet and Induction of Semantic Relations - DP, KS, TO, JP
Hanks, P. and Pustejovsky, James, 2005,
A Pattern Dictionary for Natural Language Processing,
Revue francaise de linguistique appliquie, 2005/2 Vol. X, p. 63-82.
Popescu, O., 2012,
Building a Resource of Patterns Using Semantic Types, In the
Proceedings of LREC-2012, Istanbul, Turkey.
Popescu, O., 2013,
Learning Corpus Patterns Using Finite State
Automata, In the Proceedings of the International Workshop on
Computational Semantics, Potsdam, Germany.
KS P. D. Turney and P. Pantel (2010)
"From Frequency to Meaning: Vector Space Models of Semantics" ,
Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research, Volume 37, pages 141-188.
- March 21 - Unsupervised WSD leading to event detection - MB, MG
MG Navigli, R., 2006,
Meaningful Clustering of Senses Helps Boost Word Sense Disambiguation Performance, In the Proceedings of ACL2006, Sydney, Australia.
MB Eneko Agirre; Oier Lopez de Lacalle, 2007,
UBC-ALM: Combining k-NN with SVD for WSD, In the Proceedings of the Fourth International Workshop on Semantic Evaluations (SemEval-2007), Prague, the Czech Republic.
March 25-29, Spring Break
Module 7: Final Student Presentations
- April 2, Project EPIC
Event Extraction from Tweets - TS, MO
Gloria Mark, Mossaab Bagdouri, Leysia Palen, James Martin, Ban Al-Ani1, Kenneth Anderson, 2012, Blogs as a Collective War Diary,
In the Proceedings of CSCW 2012, Seattle,WASH. Ask me for the paper
Alan Ritter, Mausam, Oren Etzioni, and Sam Clark,2012,
Open Domain Event Extraction from Twitter,
In the Proceedings of the 18th ACM SIGKDD international Conference on Knowledge Discovery & Data Mining (KDD 2012)
- April 4,
SL Korean Dependency Parses
Jinho D. Choi, Martha Palmer, Statistical Dependency Parsing in Korean: From Corpus Generation To Automatic Parsing, Proceedings of IWPT workshop on Statistical Parsing of Morphologically Rich Languages (SPMRL'11), 1-11, Dublin, Ireland, October, 2011
MP Sentiment Analysis Stephan Greene and Philip Resnik, 2009,
More Than Words: Syntactic Packaging and Implicit Sentiment,
In the Proceedings of NAACL 2009, Boulder, CO.
Module 8: Student Project Presentations
- April 9 VerbNet and Constructions, Jena Hwang
- April 11 Abstract Meaning Representations, Claire Bonial
- April 16 JI, MK, LG Thematic Role Hierarchies- Discussants TL, YA, SL
- April 18 Topic Models and Clustering, Daniel Peterson
- April 23 TL Chinese VerbNet & YA A Case Study in Template-based Arabic Semantic Role Labeling - Discussants LG, MK
- April 25 KA IBM's Watson & JG,AJ NE Tagging in the Clinical Domain - Discussants LE, MP, MO
- April 30 JE, GR, LE, JSTOR Document Clustering - Discussants TS, DP
- May 2 DP, JP CPA's and Sense Distinctions & More on Clustering? - Discussants MG, MB
K-Means Introduction and
Final Exam - Student Project Presentations, Tuesday, May 7, 1:30-4:00 MUEN D 430, ICS Large conference room
- MB,MG Unsupervised WSD - Discussants JG, JE
- TS, MO Event Extraction from Tweets - Discussants JP, AJ
- SL Korean Dependency Parses - Discussants JI
- MP Sentiment Analysis - Discussants KA, GR
Machine Learning Background